The pedigree of this famous company dates back to its founder George Wickes who first entered his mark at Goldsmiths' Hall in 1722. In 1735, Wickes became firmly established when he went into business on his own. Soon after, he was appointed as goldsmith to the Prince of Wales. Each era produced pieces much sought after by antique connoisseurs of today. In 1802, the Garrard name was cemented when Robert Garrard senior took sole control of the firm. Upon his death in 1818 his sons Robert Garrard II, James and Sebastian succeeded him in the business.